Father Ed Haggerty
"Father Haggerty described himself as an ‘authentic man,'" says Father Bob Poandl, first vice president of Glenmary. "His life and his ministry reflected that authenticity as he shared the Good News throughout Mission Land, USA."
Father Haggerty graduated from Loyola University in Chicago in 1949 and attended St. Gregory Seminary and Mount St. Mary of the West Seminary in Cincinnati before joining Glenmary and making his First Oath in 1953.
As a student at Loyola, Father Haggerty made his decision to join Glenmary after meeting Father William Howard Bishop, the missionary society's founder. In his 50 years as a home missioner, Father Haggerty served in a variety of ministries. After his ordination in 1957, he served as director of the Brothers' Training Program. His first mission assignment in 1961 led him to Glenmary's mission in Norton, Va., as associate pastor. In the years that followed, his pastorates included missions in Morehead, Ky.; Jefferson and Mt. Pleasant, Texas; and Claxton, Ga.
It was during his 18 years of ministry in Texas from the 1960s through the early 1980s that Father Haggerty began focusing on the needs of Spanish-speaking immigrants living in his mission area. He, with the assistance of many parishioners and coworkers, began bilingual Masses, catechesis and general outreach to this newly arrived population. His efforts brought Anglos and Hispanics together into a single worshiping community.
Father Haggerty was one of the pioneers of Hispanic ministry in Glenmary missions. He was one of the first Glenmarians to attend Spanish-language classes at the Mexican American Cultural Center (MACC) in San Antonio—a practice now common among all Glenmary missioners. Today, Hispanic ministry has become a key element of home mission ministry.
In 1994 Father Haggerty retired and, to be near family members, took up residence at Holy Family Church in Dayton. While in residence, he became a part of the parish, providing sacramental ministry as well as helping out wherever and whenever he was needed.